Intersil Corp. recently announced a new family of monolithic synchronous buck regulators that step-down 5- and 3.3-V primary rails to point-of-load (POL) inputs as low as 0.6 V for GPUs, DSPs, SoCs,and FPGAs. The pin-compatible ISL78233, ISL78234, and ISL78235 deliver 3, 4, and 5 A, respectively, of continuous output current to infotainment head units and advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS).
Using a current mode control architecture to deliver fast transient response and excellent loop stability, the ISL7823x synchronous step-down DC/DC converters integrate low RDSon high-side PMOS and low-side NMOS MOSFETs. Moreover, they combine a switching frequency of 2 MHz with guaranteed 100 ns (max) minimum on time to avoid AM radio channel interference.
ISL7823x features and specifications:
- Support input voltage range from 2.7 to 5.5 V and deliver high efficiency up to 95%
- 100 ns guaranteed phase minimum on time for wide output regulation
- Adjustable switching frequency from 500 kHz to 4MHz (with 2 MHz default)
- External synchronization up to 4 MHz
- Provide 1% reference accuracy for tight regulation
- Soft-stop output discharge during disable
- Fault protections (over-temperature, over-current, output over-and under-voltage, input under-voltage lockout, short-circuit, and negative over-current)
- AEC-Q100 qualified for operation from –40°C to 125°C
- Wettable flank QFN package
The ISL78235 5-A synchronous buck regulator is available in a 5 mm × 5 mm 16-lead WFQFN package for $2.75 in 1,00-unit quantities. A 3 mm × 3 mm TQFN package is also available. The ISL78235EVAL2Z evaluation board costs $67.80.
The ISL78233 3-A and ISL78234 4-A synchronous buck regulators are available now in 5 mm × 5 mm 16-lead WFQFN packages. The ISL78233 costs $1.75 in 1,000-unit quantities. The ISL78234 is $1.95 in 1,000-unit quantities. The ISL78233EVAL2Z and ISL78234EVAL2Z evaluation boards cost $56 each.
Source: Intersil Corp.
Circuit Cellar's editorial team comprises professional engineers, technical editors, and digital media specialists. You can reach the Editorial Department at email@example.com, @circuitcellar, and facebook.com/circuitcellar