STMicroelectronics’s ultra-low-power STM32L45x microcontrollers (the STM32L451, the STM32L452, and the STM32L462 lines) are supported by a development ecosystem based on the STM32Cube platform. The new microcontroller lines offer a variety of features and benefits:
- Integrated Digital Filter for Sigma-Delta Modulators (DFSDM) enables advanced audio capabilities (e.g., noise cancellation or sound localization).
- Up to 512 Kbyte on-chip Flash and 160 Kbyte SRAM provide generous code and data storage.
- A True Random-Number Generator (TRNG) streamlines development of security-conscious applications
- Smart analog peripherals include a 12-bit 5-Msps ADC, internal voltage reference, and ultra-low-power comparators.
- Multiple timers, a motor-control channel, a temperature sensor, and a capacitive-sensing interface
- Deliver high core performance and exceptional ultra-low-power efficiency
- A 36-µA/MHz Active mode current enables a longer runtime on small batteries
The development ecosystem includes the STM32CubeMX initialization-code generator and STM32CubeL4 package comprising:
- Middleware components
- Nucleo-64 Board-Support Package (BSP)
- Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL)
- Low-Layer APIs (LLAPIs)
The STM32CubeMX has a power-estimation wizard, as well as other wizards for managing clock signals and pin assignments. The affordable Nucleo-64 board, NUCLEO-L452RE, enables you to test ideas and build prototypes. It integrates the ST-LINK/V2 probe-free debugger/programmer and you can expand it via Arduino-compatible headers.
The devices are currently available in small form-factor packages from QFN-48 to LQFP-100, including a 3.36 mm × 3.66 mm WLCSP. Prices start from $2.77 in 1,000-piece quantities for the STM32L451CCU6 with 256-KB flash memory and 160-KB SRAM in QFN-48. The development boards start at $14 for the legacy-compatible Nucleo-64 board (NUCLEO-L452RE). The NUCLEO-L452RE-P board with external DC/DC converter will be available to distributors in June 2017.
STMicroelectronics | www.st.comSponsor this Article