Intersil Corp. recently launched the SL80510 and ISL80505, which are two new single-output, low-dropout (LDO) voltage regulators that provide impressive dropout and transient performance for noise-sensitive loads. They deliver 1 A and 0.5 A of continuous output current and ultra-low dropout of 130 mV and 45 mV at full load, respectively. The ISL80510’s maximum dropout is approximately 50% lower than the nearest competitor, which enables lower power dissipation in industrial, wireless, and wired equipment.
The LDOs also provide better transient performance with peak-to-peak excursions up to nine times lower than otherLDOs. This transient performance level and DC accuracy of 1.8% safeguards against voltage undershoots and overshoots to deliver clean point-of-load voltage to CPUs, DSPs, and MCUs, which require tight voltage accuracy and low noise. The ISL80510/05’s compensation loop provides excellent noise filtering by maintaining a flat power supply rejection ratio (PSRR) response over a wide range of frequencies.
The ISL80510 operates from input voltages of 2.2 to 6 V. The ISL80505 supports 1.8 to 6 V. Since LDOs’ output voltage can be adjusted from 0.8 to 5.5 V, you can cover a broad range of applications, such as low-power RF amplifiers, communications equipment, and consumer network routers. An adjustable soft-start feature enables you to control the input inrush current and program the start-up time to accommodate any power-up sequencing requirement.
Specifications and features of ISL80510 and ISL80505:
- ISL80510 provides dropout of 130 mV at Vout of 2.5 V with a 1-A load current
- ISL80505 provides ultra-low dropout of 45 mV at Vout of 2.5 V with a 500-mA load current
- Stable operation with a small 4.7-μF output ceramic capacitor
- Delivers ±1.8% Vout accuracy guaranteed over line, load, and junction temperature range of –40°C to 125°C
- Programmable output soft-start supports sequencing and helps power supply designer control inrush current
- Current limit protection and thermal shutdown function safeguards against excessive load current or operating temperature
- Both LDOs are pin-to-pin compatible and supplied in thermally enhanced 8-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm DFN packages
The ISL80510 and ISL80505 cost $0.39 1,000-unit quantities. The ISL80510EVAL1Z evaluation board costs $20.
Source: Intersil Corp.
Circuit Cellar's editorial team comprises professional engineers, technical editors, and digital media specialists. You can reach the Editorial Department at email@example.com, @circuitcellar, and facebook.com/circuitcellar