Intersil Corp. recently announced the ISL94203 3-to-8 cell battery pack monitor that supports lithium-ion (Li-ion) and other batteries. The ISL94203 can monitor, protect, and cell balance rechargeable battery packs to maximize battery life and ensure safe charging and system operation. It works as a stand-alone battery management system for rechargeable Li-ion battery packs.
The ISL94203’s internal state machine has five preprogrammed stages that accurately control each cell of a battery pack to extend operating life. In addition, it integrates high-side charge/discharge FET drive circuitry.
Notable features and specifications:
- Highest level of integration
- Eight cell voltage monitors support Li-ion CoO2, Li-ion Mn2O4, Li-ion phosphate and other battery chemistries
- Can operate as a standalone solution or with a microcontroller
- Integrated charge pump controls cutoff FETs used to charge/discharge battery pack
- Multiple cell voltage protection options up to 4.8 V
- Programmable detection/recovery times for over-voltage, under-voltage, over-current, and short circuit conditions
- Open wire detection
- EEPROM storage for device configuration
- Power saving algorithm activated when battery pack is not in use
The ISL94203 battery pack monitor is available now through Intersil’s worldwide network of authorized distributors. The ISL94203 comes in a 6 mm × 6 mm, 48-lead TQFN package, and is priced at $2.19 in 1,000-piece quantities. The ISL94203EVKIT1Z evaluation kit ($328) includes an evaluation board, interface board with USB-to-I2C interface, and software GUI that supports stand-alone operation or an external microcontroller.
Source: Intersil Corp.