Recently acquired by Linear Technology, Analog Devices has announced the LT4294 IEEE 802.3bt Powered Device (PD) interface controller. Intended for applications requiring up to 71 W of delivered power, this new Power over Ethernet (PoE) standard (IEEE 802.3bt) both increases the power budget and supports 10-Gb Ethernet (10GBASE-T). The LT4294’s features, benefits, and specs:
- Available in 10-lead MSOP and 3 mm x 3 mm DFN Packages.
- It maintains backward compatibility with older IEEE 802.3af and 802.3at PoE equipment.
- It provides up to 99% of power available from the RJ-45 connector to the hot swap output.
- Supports new features: additional PD classes (5, 6, 7, and 8), PD types (Type 3 and Type 4), and five-event classification.
- It can be married to any high efficiency switching regulator.
- It controls an external MOSFET to reduce overall PD heat dissipation and maximize power efficiency.
- An external MOSFET architecture enables you to size the MOSFET to your application’s requirements.
- It’s available in industrial and automotive grades, supporting operating temperature ranges from –40°C to 85°C and –40°C to 125°C, respectively.
The LT4294 starts at $1.95 each in 1,000-piece quantities and is available in production quantities. The LT4294 complements the LT4295 802.3bt PD interface controller with integrated switcher, both of which provide an upgrade path from our existing PoE+/LTPoE++ PD controllers, including the LT4276 and LT4275.
Source: Linear Technology