Intersil Corp. recently announced the availability of the ISL9120 buck-boost switching regulator, which enables efficient power management of system power supplies and peripherals such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, memory cards, or LCD modules. Its adaptive current limit PFM architecture delivers high efficiency up to 98% in addition to providing smooth transitions from buck-to-boost to prevent glitches in applications where light load efficiency and fast transient response are critical. The ISL9120’s small form factor make it well suited for Internet of Things (IoT) devices, such as wearables, smartphones, smart thermostats, and point-of-sale devices that run on single-cell Li-ion or Li-polymer batteries, or 2-cell alkaline, NiCd or NiMH batteries.
The ISL9120 addresses a wider Vin range and providing boost to avoid low voltage glitches that can cause a battery brownout when the Vin droops below the output voltage. Requiring only a single inductor and available in a 1.41 mm × 1.41 mm package, you don’t have to compromise efficiency or form factor.
The ISL9120 offers you the flexibility to cover a variety of design needs by operating from a Vin of 1.8 to 5.5 V and an adjustable output voltage from 1 to 5.2 V. Its adaptive PFM operation with forced bypass mode and 2-A switches support both low load and high load currents with high efficiency, ensuring longer battery life and less heat buildup. The regulator also provides 800-mA current with 2.5-V input and 3.3-V output.
Key features and specs:
- Accepts a wide input voltage range from 1.8 to 5.5 V
- Works with multiple battery topologies
- Ultra high efficiency up to 98% reduces power drain and heat buildup
- Adjustable output voltage range from 1 to 5.2 V for use with multiple power rails
- Output current up to 800 mA (Vin = 2.5 V, Vout = 3.3 V)
- 2-A switches supports both high and light load currents with high efficiency
- Ultra-small footprint with 1.41 mm × 1.41 mm package saves board space, requires only a single inductor
- Quiescent current of 41uA maximizes light load efficiency for low power consumption
- Automatic and selectable forced bypass power saving mode reduces quiescent current to less than 0.5 µA
- Full protection for under-voltage, short-circuit and over-temperature
The ISL9120 buck-boost regulator is available in 9-bump WLCSP and QFN packages and costs $0.72 USD in 1,000-piece quantities. Two ISL9120 evaluation boards enable you to evaluate device features and performance. The ISL9120IIN-EVZ (3.3 Vout) costs $74.45 and the ISL9120IIA-EVZ (adjustable Vout) costs $73.35.
Source: Intersil Corp.