Silicon Labs recently announced a complete USB reference design for developing cables and cable adapters based on the USB Type-C specification. The USB Type-C reference design features EFM8 microcontrollers, USB Power Delivery (PD) protocol stacks certified by the USB-IF, and USB Billboard Device source code.Due to the rapid adoption of USB Type-C (USB-C), demand is increasing for dongles and adapters to connect with legacy and existing products. The Silicon Labs reference design provides a complete solution for a USB Type-C to DisplayPort (DP) adapter, making it easy to communicate with legacy products.
Qualified developers can access the reference design for free. In addition to schematics, it includes software libraries and stacks, source code, code examples, and access to Simplicity Studio development tools.
Silicon Labs USB Type-C solution highlights:
- Comprehensive hardware/software reference design based on ultra-low-power EFM8 8-bit microcontrollers
- Complete software solution, including a USB PD stack library, billboard device source code, and sample code for USB-C to DP applications available in Simplicity Studio library format
- USB-IF certified USB Power Delivery silicon
- Complete reference design solution for USB Type-C to DisplayPort adapters
- Support for USB-C video adapter dongle and USB PD controller functions including attach/detach detection, power contract negotiation, and Alternate mode detection/selection
- Billboard device support communicating Alternate Mode failure to host
The Silicon Labs USB Type-C reference design deliverables (schematics, PD stack library, billboard device source code and sample code) are available to qualified developers for free.
Source: Silicon Labs