Linear Technology’s LTM8064 is a step-down DC/DC µModule (power module) regulator with a 6-to-58-V (60 VMAX) input voltage range and adjustable load current control with ±10% accuracy at 7 A. You can use it as a point-of-load step-down regulator operating from 24, 36, and 48 V voltage rails in test equipment, high-end computers, test equipment, avionics, and more. It also operates as a constant current source to precisely regulate and control (adjust) the load current up to 7 A when sourcing and 9.1 A when sinking. Among the applications requiring precision load current control are Peltier devices for cooling/heating and battery and supercapacitor chargers.
The LTM8064 includes DC/DC controller, MOSFETs, inductor, and supporting components. Two resistors, bulk input capacitors, and output capacitors are needed to complete the design. Housed in a 16 mm × 11.9 mm × 4.92 mm BGA package, the LTM8064 has an adjustable output voltage range of 1.2 to 36 V. The switching frequency is adjustable by one external resister from 100 kHz to 1 MHz or it can be synchronized to an external clock from 120 kHz to 1 MHz.
The LTM8064’s main features:
- Operates from –40°C to 125°C
- Wide input voltage range: 6 to 58 V
- 1.2-to-36-V Output voltage
- Constant-voltage, constant-current (CVCC)
- Two-Quadrant: Sources and Sinks Output Current
- Parallelable for increased output current, even from different voltage sources
- Adjustable output current up to 7 A when sourcing or 9.1 A when sinking
- Selectable switching frequency: 100 kHz to 1 MHz
- Programmable soft-start
- Tiny 16 mm × 11.9 mm × 4.92 mm surface-mount BGA package
Pricing starts at $16.50 each in 1,000-unit quantities.
Source: Linear TechnologySponsor this Article
Circuit Cellar's editorial team comprises professional engineers, technical editors, and digital media specialists. You can reach the Editorial Department at email@example.com, @circuitcellar, and facebook.com/circuitcellar