Arduino’s Portenta X8 system-on-a-module (SoM) comes with Linux preloaded and ready to go right out of the box. The industrial-grade SoM is capable of running device-independent software due in large part to its modular container.
There is onboard WI-FI/Bluetooth Low Energy connectivity. This helps with the secure performance of the Linux OS/application OTA updates. The structure is basically two industrial products on one board, powered by no less than 9 cores. Leverage The Arduino environment can carry out real-time tasks, while the Linux handles high-performance processing
The Portenta X8 features an NXP i.MX 8M Cortex-A53 quad-core, up to 1.8GHz per core. Also a 1x Cortex-M4 up to 400MHz plus the STMicroelectronics STM32H747 dual-core Cortex-M7 up to 480MHz, plus a 32-bit Arm MCU up to 24MHz.
Key Attributes of the Portenta X8 SoM
- Combines the Arduino libraries/skills with the container-based Linux distribution, for a two-in-one industrial solution
- Allows the leveraging of popular coding languages, such as Python, Java, Ruby, and many others.
- Total of 9 cores in a compact form factor, for the highest computational density
- Optimized power from multi-processor architecture
- Real-time I/O and Fieldbus/control on a dedicated core
- Machine learning at the edge, with powerful AI algorithms
- Over-the-air secure OS/application updates
- A crypto chip on a dedicated bus allows industrial-grade security at the hardware level
- Able to expand Portenta capabilities by leveraging the Arduino ecosystem
- A single module can implement multi-protocol routing
- Compatible with Arduino Portenta products.
Portenta X8 allows IT professionals, system integrators, and consulting firms to build and boost a wide variety of industrial solutions in many contexts. It also lends itself to building automation and smart agriculture applications
- Manufacturing through connected edge computers
- Autonomous Guided Vehicles (AGVs) and smart factory and guided equipment
- Secure kiosks and digital signage that is interactive and full-HD
- Home and Office control systems
- Behavioral analytics for factories and offices
- Control and navigation for smart agriculture
For more information on the Portenta X8 see the product datasheet and for the other Arduino Portenta family of products see the Arduino website.
The Portenta X8 is available for purchase with a host of addons, the pricing starts at $239.00 per SoM plus applicable state taxes.
Arduino | Arduino.ccSponsor this Article
For the past 8 years, I have been writing about embedded technologies, added to my technical, academic, and medical editorial experience, with companies like Elsevier and Cambridge University Press. I tell people to read what I write, not try to pronounce my last name. I am always available for comments and suggestions you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I promise I will take the time to reach back out to you. I live in the North East with my wonderful family.