Odyessy Semiconductor Technologies in September announced that it had reached the goal of 1200V rating on vertical GaN power field-effect transistors (FETs).
The company develops high-voltage power-switching components based on proprietary Gallium Nitride (GaN) processing technology. The company now is applying this validated technology to fabricate product samples in the last quarter of 2022 for internal and customer evaluations through the first quarter of 2023.
Milestones reached so far
- Announced 1200V vertical GaN power device.
- Validated figures of merit for both 650 and 1200-volt power devices. This will lead the industry in efficiency with significantly low on-resistance at high switching frequencies for reduced design size.
- Will build Generation 1 of product samples of 650 and 1200-volt power devices in the last quarter of 2022 (this year).
- Confirmed the process for large-scale device fabrication, currently in use to manufacture product samples.
- Commitments from three customers to evaluate Generation 1 product samples.
- Expanded customer engagement is underway.
“The importance of Odyssey achieving this milestone of 1200 volt vertical GaN power devices cannot be over-emphasized,” said Mark Davidson, Odyssey’s Chief Executive Officer. “We are emerging from process and materials R&D to delivering products at voltages that lateral GaN can’t practically reach with economics unattainable by silicon and silicon carbide. Our vertical GaN products will deliver high power conversion efficiency at almost 10x smaller than a silicon carbide transistor for the same application.”
The vertical GaN market is growing fast. Odyessy is trying to capture a portion of that market. Citing a company statement, “Odyessy’s approach to vertical GaN will offer an even greater improvement that Si, SiC, and GaN lateral applications can not deliver.
The GaN market is set to increase by 40% CAGR by 2027.
“We are not just fabricating test structures. We’re building product samples that customers need. Odyssey continues to close new commitments for product samples as customers gain a full understanding of the capabilities of Odyssey’s power devices. The Company is uniquely positioned with the expertise and the IP portfolio to protect it. And with our own foundry in Ithaca, New York, we can innovate quickly and control our ability to supply products to customers,” concluded Davidson.
Odyessy Semiconductor Technologies | odyessysemi.comSponsor this Article
For the past 8 years, I have been writing about embedded technologies, added to my technical, academic, and medical editorial experience, with companies like Elsevier and Cambridge University Press. I tell people to read what I write, not try to pronounce my last name. I am always available for comments and suggestions you can reach me at email@example.com and I promise I will take the time to reach back out to you. I live in the North East with my wonderful family.