Maxim’s and Analog Devices Inc.’s two tiny buck converters, the MAX20402 / MAX20403 IC are designed with high-side and low-side switches. The pair deliver up to 2.5A and 3.5A respectively and do this over a wide input voltage range of 3V to 36V. The voltage quality can be monitored by keeping an eye on the PGOOD signal. Both ICs can operate in dropout by running at 99% duty cycle, which makes them perfect for automotive and industrial applications
The MAX20402/MAX20403 are externally programmable or have internally fixed output voltages of 5V to 3.3V. Fixed internal frequency options of 3MHz/2.1MHz/400kHz are available. This allows for small external components and also guarantees no AM interference and reduced output ripple.
When SYNC is low, the MAX20402/MAX20403 automatically enter skip mode at light loads. Then at no load ultra-low quiescent current of 10µA. To help improve performance against EMI, a pin-selectable forced-PWM mode is available. The devices are designed to minimize EMI-radiated emissions through a spread-spectrum frequency modulation option when experiencing a modulation frequency.
Both the MAX20402/MAX20403 come in 3mmx3mm FC2QFN packages and utilize only a meager number of external components.
Multiple Functions in a Tiny Form Factor
- Operating Input Voltage Range – 3V to 36V
- Synchronous DC-DC Converter with Integrated FETs up to 2.5A/3.5A
- 10µA Quiescent Current in Skip Mode
- Spread Spectrum Option
- Programmable 0.8V to 12V Output Voltage or a Fixed 5V/3.3V option Available
- 99% Duty Cycle Operation with Low Dropout
- Switching Frequency 3MHz/2.1MHz/400kHz
- Fixed 2.5ms internal soft start
Safety Critical Applications With High Precision
- ±1.5% Output Voltage Accuracy in FPWM
- Fully programmable UVLO Thresholds from Precision Enable Thresholds
- PGOOD Accurate Windowed
- Forced-PWM, Average Current Mode, Skip Operation
- Short-circuit Protection, Overtemperature, and Overvoltage protections
- 3mmx3mm FC2QFN
- -40°C to +125°C Operating Temperature
- 42V Load-dump Tolerant
- AEC-Q100 Qualified
- Automotive Applications
- ADAS Systems
- Radar Modules
- High-Voltage DC-DC Converters
For More Information on the Analog Devices Inc. MAX20402/MAX20403, IC Buck Converters see the product page on the Maxim website.
Maxim Integrated | maximintegrated.comSponsor this Article