Convert Power AC to DC
An AC-DC power supply obtains electric power in AC from a grid-based power source and converts it into DC with a different current, voltage, and frequency. AC-DC power supplies deliver the right power to embedded systems and electronic devices.
An AC-DC power supply is used for converting the alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC), which is required to power most electronic devices. AC changes its direction periodically and magnitude continuously, and AC power’s voltage and frequencies differ between regions. On the other hand, DC flows in the same direction. A commonly used source of DC power is a battery cell.
The conversion process from AC to DC is simple. The process begins with stepping down the voltage level by using a step-down transformer. Then convert AC to DC by using a rectifier that just keeps the current in a single direction, and we get pulsating DC that changes value but never changes direction. A smoothing capacitor converts the pulsating DC to pure DC, and finally regulates the voltage by a voltage regulator. Generally, AC-DC Power Supplies are two types—regulated and unregulated. Regulated power supplies can be Switching-regulated or Linear-regulated, and unregulated power supplies are the basic types of power supplies with an AC input and an unregulated output.
Embedded systems and electronic devices need a specific amount of processing power, which is impossible using AC. So we need DC, the embedded systems or devices can be powered directly using AC-DC power supplies. The AC-DC power supplies are necessary to provide power to embedded systems and electronic devices such as smart phones, computers, and other smart devices. Mobile phone chargers and laptop adapters are the most commonly used AC-DC power supplies.
Nowadays, we need several types and ranges of AC-DC power supplies for many different purposes and applications, such as Robotics, Electric Vehicles, and Industrial embedded systems. We need different ranges of AC-DC power supplies for home, industrial, transportation, medical, and so on. Many reputable companies are providing AC-DC power supplies of many different types with high qualities that can be used for several fields and applications.
PUBLISHED IN CIRCUIT CELLAR MAGAZINE • JUNE 2022 #383 – Get a PDF of the issue
Baseplate Cooled 75W half-brick AC-DC power supplies
The ASB75 series AC-DC power supplies from XP Power is a range of low-profile, half-brick, baseplate-cooled AC-DC power supplies. ASB75 series does not require external components, and the AC-DC power supplies include a built-in AC fuse and EMC filter. The ASB75 provides high efficiency to minimize waste heat and heatsinking requirements.
- 75W baseplate-cooled half-brick package
- Integral EMC filter, fuse and hold up capacitor
- Class B conducted and radiated emissions
- Input range 85 to 264VAC
- Single outputs from 12 to 48VDC
- Power density 20.4W/in³
- High efficiency, up to 90%
- No load input power 160 khrs (MIL-HDBK-217F, +25°C GB)
Chassis Mount AC-DC Power Supply
The VGS-100W series from CUI is an AC/DC power supply that can deliver up to 110W. This series is 62368 certified and it is additionally designed to meet 61558 and 60335 system requirements. VGS-100W series in a compact metal case, and the convection-cooled unit is ideal for reducing standby power usage in industrial applications.
- Wide input range (85 ~ 305VAC)
- Available with conformal coating or terminal cover options
- UL/EN/IEC 62368 certified
- Designed to meet IEC/EN 61558 and IEC/EN 60335 system requirements
- Short-circuit, over-current, over-voltage protections
- CISPR/EN55032 Class B radiated/conducted emissions
AC-DC Harsh Environment Industrial Power Supplies
The CALEX’s 600W IHC is a new series of AC-DC harsh environment industrial power supplies. The series is aimed at ruggedized and special applications that require operation in extreme industrial environmental conditions. The I/O and signal connectors are ruggedized to allow operation over a wide -40ºC to +85ºC baseplate operating temperature range.
- Universal AC input 100 to 240VAC
- Single 12V, 24V and 48V output
- -5%/+15% output voltage adjustment
- Delivers up to 600W conduction cooled, no fan at +85°C max
- High efficiency of 95%
- Active inrush current protection
- DC output via studs; AC input and signals each via circular connectors
- Droop characteristic current sharing
- True zero load output operation; no minimum load requirement
- MTBF exceeds 1.4M hours (Telcordia SR-332, Issue 3, M1C3, +40ºC).
- RoHS3 Directive 2015/863 compliant
Conduction Cooling AC-DC Switching Enclosed Power Supply
MEAN WELL’s UHP-2500 series is a 2500W single-output slim type AC/DC power supply. From a full-range input, the series provides the output voltage line of 24V, 36V, and 48V. The UHP-2500 series can operate between the range -30°C and +70°C under natural air convection with up to 96% efficiency.
- Slim and Low profile (60mm)
- Fanless and conduction-cooled design
- Built-in active PFC function
- -30°C and +70°C working temperature
- Output voltage and constant current level programmable
- Protections: Short circuit / Overload / Over voltage / Over temperature
- Built-in remote ON-OFF control
- DC OK active signal
- Operating altitude up to 5000 meters (Note.8)
- LED indicator for power on
- Optional PMBus or CANBus protocol
High Efficiency Switching Power Supplies
The XL750 Series AC-DC power supplies from N2Power lead the power density race with their high efficiency. They provide up to 94% efficiency and can reduce energy losses by up to 50%. XL750 Series builds with a focus on maximizing efficiency, so can reduce energy costs and longer product lifespans.
- High efficiency up to 94%
- Form factor 4” × 7” × 1.65” (1.85″ with enclosure)
- With P.F.C. function > 0.95
- 5V standby 1.0A supply
- Auxiliary 12V/1.0A fan supply
- I2C/PMBus interface for digital power management
- Active current sharing for N, N+1
- Built-in OR-ing MOSFET for N, N+1
- U-Frame, U-Frame with top cover
- Maximum output: 750W with 25 CFM fan or 350W (TBC) with unobstructed convection cooling(1)
- Pending UL / IEC / EN 62368 Safety Approvals
The Ultra-Compact Versatile Grade AC/DC Converter Series
RECOM’s RACM40-K AC-DC converter series delivers 40W of output power between the ranges -40°C and +65°C with natural air convection only and up to +85°C with derating or forced air cooling. The RACM40-K series have ANSI/ AAMI/IEC 60601-1 medical safety and EN 60601-1-2 medical EMC certifications and provide 4kVAC/1min isolation, 2MOPP. It is designed to meet B and BF requirements.
- ANSI/ AAMI/IEC 60601-1 medical safety
- 1.6“ × 3“, open card units; optional 2“ × 3“
- 1.8“ × 3.2“, encapsulated modules
- 40W power from -40°C up to +65°C ambient and Operating temp. Up to +85°C with derating
- 4 kVAC/1min reinforced isolation
- 2MOPP medical certified, B and BF compliant
- 5000m (medical/ITE) operating altitude
- Class B EMC filter built-in
65W USB-C AC Adapter for Laptop, Tablet, or Phone
The APA107AP 65W USB-C Charger from Targus can be used for a USB-C laptop, tablet, or phone. It is compact and lightweight, and a fast and reliable power adapter supports up to 65W. APA107AP has built-in power supply protection that ensures safe use with over-voltage, over-current, and over-temperature.
- Compatible with USB-C laptops, tablets, and phones*
- USB-C Power Delivery charges USB-C laptops up to 65W
- Built-in power supply protection
- Cable management tie for organization and easy storage
- 5.9 feet/1.8 meter cable length
80W/120W/240W/480W DIN RAIL Power Supplies
The TIB-EX series from TRACO POWER is the next generation of 80W/120W/240W/480W Din Rail power supplies. The series is capable of 150% peak power for up to 4 seconds and is ideal for stepper motors, solenoids, or actuators. The TIB-EX series operate with a high power factor of up to 99%.
- UL Hazloc Class I, division 2 approval and ATEX certification for EX-models
- Efficiency 90-94% typical, model dependent
- 150% peak power for 4 seconds
- Rugged metal case with optional side-mounting
- Back power immunity / short-circuit / overload protection
- SEMI F47 compliant for voltage sag immunity
- Operating Temp -40°C to +70°C (full load up to 60°C)
- High Reliability: MTBF 1 mill hrs per IEC 61709
Medical Switching Power Supplies
The TAAM700 series from TT Electronics are medical-certified AC/DC switching power supplies that provide 625W to 700W of continuous output power. The series provides high power density with a 12VDC to 48VDC voltage range and is ideal for medical applications. All models of the TAAM700 series meet FCC PART 15 and EN55032 Class B emission limits.
- 10th Gen Intel Core Processors
- Unique 700W output power rating
- Delivers greater power per cubic inch
- High efficiency
- Wider operating temperature range
- Optional built-in current share (configurable to 1.26kW)
- Up to 92% efficiency
- Remote ON/OFF function
- 5V standby at 1A
- BF-rated outputs
- 17.8W/in3 power density
Al Mahmud Al Mamun Former (March 2022-July 2022) Editor-in-Chief — Editor-in-Chief Circuit Cellar magazine. With a background in engineering, research, and publishing and a master’s degree in Computer Science and Engineering. His passions include Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, and Smart technologies.