WIZnet’s Connect the Magic 2014 Design Challenge provided electronics enthusiasts with the opportunity to use WIZnet’s WIZ550io Ethernet module in a project for a chance to win a share of $15,000 in prizes. The submission deadline was August 3, 2014, and soon thereafter the judges began scoring the entries. We’re excited to announce that the results are now in and winning projects are live.
You can study the complete projects (documentation, schematics, photos, code, and more) on the Winners Page. Congratulations to the following winners!
- First Prize — Chimaera: The Poly-Magneto-Phonic Theremin, Hans Peter Portner (Switzerland)
- Second Prize — LCDTV Server: Streaming Media Using Ethernet/USB Adapter, Lindsay Meek (Australia)
- Third Prize — WIZ Security Network, Claudiu Chiculita (Romania)
- Honorable Mention — Sentry, David Penrose (United States)
- Honorable Mention — Automatic Animal Feeder, Dean Boman (United States)
- Honorable Mention — WIZpix: Connected pixel controller, Robert Gasiorowski (United States)
- Honorable Mention — The Instrument of Things, Radko Bankras (The Netherlands)
- Honorable Mention — Radio Telescope Controller, Clayton Gumbrell (Australia)
WIZnet’s WIZ550io is an excellent module for rapidly developing ’Net-enabled systems. It is an auto-configurable Ethernet controller module that includes the W5500 (TCP/IP-hard-wired chip and PHY embedded), a transformer, and an RJ-45 connector.
The WIZ550io has a unique, embedded real MAC address and auto network configuration capability. When powered up, the WIZ550io initializes itself with the MAC and default IP address and can be pinged from your computer. You don’t need to write MAC and network information such as an IP address, subnet mask, and gateway address.
The W5500 chip is a hardwired TCP/IP embedded Ethernet controller that enables Internet connection for embedded systems using Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI).