Trinamic Motion Control has unveiled an ultra-small single-chip motor driver that uses StealthChop technology to enable virtually silent operation. The device is designed to drive two-phase stepper motors up to 1.2 A RMS and with a voltage range of 1.8 VDC to 11 VDC. With a standby current draw of < 50 nA, it can provide a solution that requires only one or two Li-Ion cells or two AA batteries.
The TMC2300 incorporates three exclusive Trinamic technologies: StealthChop2™: A high-precision algorithm that produces drive waveforms which enable motors to be inaudible – both in motion and at standstill; StallGuard: Sensorless motor load measurement, a combination of on-chip circuitry and firmware that enables the driver to perform sensorless homing and detect mechanical obstacles; and CoolStep Sensorless: Load-dependent current control that optimizes the motor’s energy consumption on the fly, enabling energy savings of up to 80% over conventional motor drives, according to Trinamic.
The TMC2300’s industry-leading low-power characteristics are made possible by Trinamic’s StealthChop2 chopper circuit and the device’s extremely low RDSon, supported by an integrated charge pump. When used in combination with the driver’s CoolStep feature, the TMC 2300 can reduce a motor’s energy consumption by up to 90% over standard chopper, enabling your battery-powered applications to enjoy longer running time and cooler operation.
Offering extreme energy efficiency, silent operation, and advanced development tools for fast, easy customization, the TMC2300 is the perfect platform for IoT and handheld devices, battery-operated equipment, point-of-sale devices and printers, toys, miniature medical devices, office and home automation products—including smart thermostatic radiator valves—and more.
Able to power stepper motors off battery voltages as low as 1.8 V, and equipped with all the latest available current control and diagnostics technologies, Trinamic’s TMC2300 allows for smarter, more efficient, and totally silent battery-operated devices.
Available starting in September, Trinamic’s smallest, single-chip motor driver sets the standard for advanced low-voltage and highly efficient stepper motor drivers.
Features and Benefits:
- Smart, silent, efficient motor control for two-phase stepper motors requiring up to 1.2A RMS
- Supports a wide operating voltage range (1.8–11V DC), enabling more battery options for portable applications (e.g., two AA / NiMh cells, or one to two Li-Ion cells)
- Standby current draw of < 50nA (typ) extends operating time
- Single wire UART and Step/Dir interfaces for easy, reliable motor and control connections
- Up to 256x microstepping for extreme precision
- StallGuard4 & StealthChop2 enable sensorless homing, integrated motor protection, and silent operation
- CoolStep technology provides energy saving and automatic standby current reduction
- Available in a compact QFN20 (3×3) package
Trinamic Motion Control | www.trinamic.comSponsor this Article More Information on Article Sponsorship