Intersil Corp. recently announced the ISL78365 laser diode driver for automotive heads-up display (HUD) systems. Capable of pulsing four high-intensity lasers up to 750 mA for projecting full-HD color video onto a windshield, the quad-channel ISL78365’s enables HUDs with high resolution, high color-depth, and high frame-rate projections.
The only laser driver with a fourth channel for supporting a wide variety of laser diode configurations, the ISL78365 provides sub-1.5-ns rise and fall times. It also provides 10-bit color and 10-bit scale resolution to support a wide variety of contrast levels for each driver channel. Furthermore, it supports pixel rates up to 15 0 MHz or 1,900 pixels per line.
The ISL78365’s features and specs:
- Up to 750 mA of peak current output per channel
- Fast output switching speeds with pulse rise/fall times of 1.5 ns typical for crisp pixels
- Supports up to 150-MHz maximum output pixel clock
- Laser voltage sampler with integrated dynamic power optimization controller to conserve system power
- Flexible data order supports multiple RGB laser diode optomechanical placement
- Blanking time power reduction reduces laser diode driver current consumption
- Programmable multi-pulse RTZ for maximum flexibility and speckle reduction
- Single 3.3-V supply and 1.8-V video interface for low power operation
- 3-wire serial peripheral interface
- AEC-Q100 Grade-1 qualified for operation from –40°C to 125°C
- Wettable flank QFN package enables the optical inspection of solder joints for lower manufacturing cost
You can combine the ISL78365 with the ISL78206 2.5-A synchronous buck regulator, ISL78201 2.5-A synchronous buck/boost regulator, ISL78233 3-A synchronous buck regulator, ISL78302 dual 302-mA LDO, and ISL29125 digital RGB color light sensor to provide a complete power supply system for automotive laser projection HUDs.
The quad-channel ISL78365 laser diode driver is available in a 6 mm × 6 mm 40-lead WFQFN package. It costs $9.82 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Source: Intersil Corp.