Analog Devices, acquired last year by Linear Technology, has announced the Power by Linear LT8364, a current mode, 2 MHz step-up DC/DC converter with an internal 4 A, 60 V switch. It operates from an input voltage range of 2.8 V to 60 V, and is suitable for applications with input sources ranging from a single-cell Li-Ion battery to multi-cell battery stacks, automotive inputs, telecom power supplies and industrial power rails.
The LT8364 can be configured as either a boost, SEPIC or an inverting converter. Its switching frequency can be programmed between 300 kHz and 2 MHz, enabling designers to minimize external component sizes and avoid critical frequency bands, such as AM radio. Furthermore, it offers over 90% efficiency while switching at 2 MHz. Burst Mode operation reduces quiescent current to only 9 μA while keeping output ripple below 15 mVp-p. The combination of a small 4 mm x 3 mm DFN or high voltage MSOP-16E package and tiny externals ensures a highly compact footprint while minimizing solution cost.
The LT8364’s 100 mΩ power switch delivers efficiencies of over 95%. It also offers spread spectrum frequency modulation to minimize EMI concerns. A single feedback pin sets the output voltage whether the output is positive or negative, minimizing pin count. Other features include external synchronization, programmable UVLO, frequency foldback and programmable soft-start.
The LT8364EDE is available in a 4 mm x 3 mm DFN-12 package and the LT8364EMSE is available in a high voltage MSOP-16E (4 pins removed for high voltage spacing). Industrial temperature (–40°C to 125°C) versions (LT8364IDE and LT8364IMSE), and high temperature (–40°C to 150°C) versions (LT8364HDE and LT8364HMSE) are also available.
Summary of Features: LT8364
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 2.8 V to 60 V
- Internal 4 A, 60 V Power Switch
- Ultralow Quiescent Current & Low Ripple Burst Mode Operation: IQ = 9 μ A
- BIAS Pin for Higher Efficiency
- Positive or Negative Output Voltage Programming with a Single Feedback Pin
- Programmable, Synchronizable Frequency: 300 kHz to 2 MHz
- Optional Spread Spectrum Frequency Modulation for Low EMI
- Thermally Enhanced 12-Lead 4 mm × 3 mm DFN & High Voltage Pin Spacing Version of 16-Lead MSOP packages
Pricing for the LT8364 in 1,100s starts at $3.25.
Linear Technology | www.linear.comBecome a Sponsor