NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST.
These Official Rules (“Official Rules”) describe the terms and conditions for the WIZnet Connect the Magic 2014 Design Challenge Contest (the “Challenge”). This Challenge is sponsored by WIZnet Co., Inc., located at WIZnet Co. (the “Sponsor”), Ltd, 4F Humax Village, 11-4 Sunae-Dong, Bundang-Gu Seongnam-Si, Gyunggi-Do 463-825, Korea. This Challenge is administered by Elektor International Media and Circuit Cellar, Inc. (the “Administrator”), located at 111 Founders Plaza, Suite 300, East Hartford, CT 06108, USA.
THIS CHALLENGE IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, EXCLUDING ITS CONFLICT OF LAWS RULES. IF YOU LIVE IN A COUNTRY THAT PROHIBITS YOU FROM AGREEING TO THIS GOVERNING LAW OR ENTERING INTO CHALLENGES OR OTHER PROMOTIONS, DO NOT ENTER THIS CHALLENGE.
- No purchase necessary to enter or win.
- Void where prohibited by law.
- Each person who enters the Challenge (each a “Participant” and collectively, the “Participants”) is challenged to design a unique application (“Project”) that must incorporate a WIZnet WIZ550io Ethernet module or W5500 chip in an innovative, ’Net-enabled system.
- Eligible entries will be judged on their technical merit, originality, usefulness, cost-effectiveness, and design optimization.
- The Challenge launches March 3, 2014. Participants must submit a completed registration form no later than 12:00 PM EST on August 3, 2014. The deadline for Entry submission is 12:00 PM EST on August 3, 2014.
- All decisions of the Administrator relative to the Challenge are final.
- A project Entry must use at least one WIZnet WIZ550io Ethernet module or W5500 chip. Participants can use any other MCU or other module along with the WIZ550io Ethernet module or W5500 chip. The project Entry must use commercially available components only.
- The object/executable code must be able to be compiled and executed by a third party.
- Incomplete, illegible, or defaced Entries will be rejected. If entering multiple Entries, there must be a separate Registration Form and individual Project Registration Number assigned for each Entry.
- Each Participant must be over the age of eighteen (18).
Who May Register and Enter
Any individual or group of individuals, age 18 and older as of the date of entry, may enter the Challenge. Participants must register and/or submit Entries as individuals or groups of individuals, not as corporations, limited liability companies, or other entities. The Challenge is void where prohibited or restricted by law. Direct employees of the Sponsor, the Administrator, their respective affiliates, advertising, promotion or production agencies, members of their immediate families, or those with whom they are domiciled are not eligible. In addition, anyone living in a country, province, or state where the Challenge is prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted under national, federal, provincial, state and local laws, rules, or regulations is ineligible. Participants who are residents of a country, state, or province that prohibits unregistered contests or requires the Sponsor to post a bond are ineligible. The Administrator and the Sponsor expressly disclaim any responsibility or liability for any Participant who registers or enters when it is illegal for them to do so. By entering this Challenge, Participants agree to waive any additional rights granted in regard to Challenges by the country, state, or province in which they are domiciled.
How to Register
All Participants must use the WIZnet Connect the Magic 2014 Design Challenge Registration Form to register for this Challenge and obtain an assigned Project Registration Number for labeling Entries (defined below). Registration for this Challenge is required by the Entry Deadline (defined below).
Participants may enter more than one Project but must submit each with a separate Project Registration Number. Only the assigned Project Registration Number should be used as an ID for the Project materials. Participants who leave their names in headers, footers, table of contents pages, schematics, etc. may be disqualified.
By completing the Project Registration Form, receiving a Project Registration Number and submitting an Entry, each Participant certifies that the Project entered in the Challenge is their work, or that they have written legal permission from the property owner. Furthermore, they have read and understand the complete rules of the Challenge and agree to abide by them.
All Participants must request and receive a Project Registration Number for labeling their Entries. The number is used to identify the specific Project being submitted and must be included on/attached to all Entry documentation and to any correspondence. Participants may want to enter more than one Project but register multiple times to obtain a separate Project Registration Number for each Project to be entered.
Challenge Hardware Limited Number of Samples Available
Interested parties can submit a Request to receive a complimentary WIZnet WIZ550io Ethernet module to complete their Project entry. The Request form will include fields for contact info and a short project abstract describing project-related intentions. If and when a module request is approved, a Participant will receive one WIZnet WIZ550io Ethernet module. Requests for modules will be serviced on a first come, first served basis and are limited in number. A limited number of complimentary modules are available. Available only while supplies last. WIZnet shall pay for shipping, exclusive of any taxes, duties, tariffs, etc. that may apply. PARTICIPANTS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY AND ALL DUTIES, TARIFFS, TAXES, OR CHARGES LEVIED against requested modules.
How to Enter the Project
The term “Entry” refers to the Project Abstract, Complete Documentation, and Source Code collectively (e.g., all together in one ZIP file). Each Entry must be clearly marked with the Project Registration Number. To submit an Entry, Participants must upload their Project files via the online Entry webpage.
All Entries must be received on or before 12:00 PM EST on August 3, 2014 (“Entry Deadline”).
Each Entry must be the original work and sole and exclusive property of the person or team who submits it or the Participant must have written legal permission from the property owner. In the case of Entries owned by other parties, the written legal permission must be included with the Entry. Entries should be submitted in digital format and must be written in English. Entries may be submitted in hard copy format by prior arrangement.
To submit an Entry, the Participant must upload his/her Project files via the Entry webpage. If a Participant absolutely cannot use this upload process, the Participant can e-mail the Entry with Project to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a CD-ROM, DVD, or USB stick via mail to the address below. Mailed entries must be postmarked no later than 12:00 PM EST on August 3, 2014. Participants must label everything with the Participant’s Project Registration Number.
WIZnet Connect the Magic 2014 Design Challenge, Elektor/Circuit Cellar, 111 Founders Plaza, Suite 300, East Hartford CT 06108, United States
For an Entry and Project to be deemed acceptable, the Participant must have registered by the entry deadline, requested and received a Project Registration Number for labeling their Entry and entered a Project. Participants may enter more than one Project but must submit each with a separate Project Registration Number.
All Entries must be received on or before 12:00 PM EST on August 3, 2014. Entries received or postmarked after 12:00 PM EST on August 3, 2014 are ineligible. Proof of transmission of an Entry to the Administrator will not constitute proof of receipt of said Entry. To avoid additional shipping and organizational difficulties, copies of submitted Projects will not be returned.
The Administrator and the Sponsor assume no responsibility for lost, late, or misdirected entries. Proof of transmission of an Entry to the Administrator will not constitute proof of receipt of said Entry.
The following items—labeled with a Project Registration Number—should be submitted in order for an Entry to be deemed acceptable:
- Complete Documentation
- Source Code
Acceptable formats for Abstracts and Complete Documentation are: Microsoft Word. Acceptable formats for graphics files are: JPG, GIF, TIF, BMP, EPS
- Abstract: The abstract is a publishable synopsis of the Project (approx. 500 words) and should include the following in a single document:
- Project Registration Number at the top of the first page or in a header/footer
- Project synopsis
- Block diagram of the design
- Project photograph
- Software code sample or snippet
- Note: The block diagram, project photograph, and schematic must also be supplied as separate files. If the Participant uses a commercial demonstration/development board, then the Participant must identify the board and the schematic only needs to show the connections to the board and any circuitry added by the Participant. Unless the Participant specifically designates a separate abstract file that is complete with the necessary description, schematic, diagram, photograph, and software code to constitute the required publishable abstract, the Participant grants Circuit Cellar the right to utilize schematics, diagrams, descriptions, software listings, and photographs incorporated within the full entry documentation as necessary to complete the abstract.
- Complete Documentation: The “complete documentation” must include everything from the Abstract, plus all other relevant flowcharts, photographs, videos, tables, graphs, etc. The text description should be more extensive than the information included in the Abstract. The Complete Documentation should fully explain the development process and function of the Project. Each Participant’s Complete Documentation must include:
- Project Registration Number at the top of the first page or in a header/footer
- Detailed text description of the Project and its operation (no page limit). Acceptable formats for documentation are Microsoft Word and ASCII text.
- Source code
- At least one block diagram
- A complete schematic(s) (Note: If the Participant uses a commercial demonstration/development board, then the Participant must identify the board and the schematic only needs to show the connections to the board and any circuitry added by the Participant.)
- Any additional photographs, movies, diagrams, screenshots, tables, flowcharts, etc. While the graphics files may be embedded in the project documentation, the images must also be provided as individual files.
- Source Code: The Entry must include complete assembly or high-level language source code. The specific software development package must be identified and the object/executable code must be able to be compiled and executed by a third party. Source Code must compile without error. The code must be packaged and presented as the complete project folder. The code files should be labelled with a Project Number.
See the FAQs section for Entry tips.
How to Win
Challenge Entries that meet the Challenge’s submission requirements and comply with the rules will be judged by a panel of judges selected by the Administrator and Sponsor. Judging will be based on the following: technical merit 30%, originality 30%, usefulness 20%, cost-effectiveness 10%, and design optimization 10%. In the event of a tie, the tied entry with the highest score in the technical merit category will be deemed the winner. In the event of a further tie, the tied entry with the highest score in the usefulness category will be selected. Challenge judges have been chosen based on their familiarity with engineering design and their familiarity with the technologies relating to the Challenge. Participants agree to abide by all decisions of the Administrator and the judges, which shall be final and binding with respect to all issues relating to the Challenge.
The following Challenge prizes will be awarded:
- $5,000 First Prize
- $3,000 Second Prize
- $2,000 Third Prize
- Five (5) Honorable Mention prizes of $1,000 each.
Winners will be notified via e-mail or postal mail on or about September 5, 2014. The list of winners will be posted at circuitcellar.com/wiznet2014.
Intellectual Property Rights
As between Sponsor, Administrator and Participant, the design remains the intellectual property of the Participant, subject to the license grants for prize winning entries and exceptional entries as set forth herein. Participants are encouraged to seek patents for any unique or proprietary aspects of their design prior to submission. All Participants who submit an Entry in the Challenge agree to sign a separate agreement granting the Administrator and Sponsor a non-exclusive, assignable, perpetual, full publication rights of the Challenge Project if they win. Software submitted with any Entry remains the property of the Participant; however, winning Participants agree to sign a separate agreement providing the Administrator and Sponsor a non-exclusive, assignable, right to copy, reproduce, display, publish, and disseminate this software in any media, without any territorial limitation, as part of any winning-Project presentation and to assign all rights, title and interest in the software to the Sponsor. Prior publication or the prior Internet posting of essential components in an Entry are not grounds for disqualification.
The publication rights described herein refer only to the actual materials submitted as the Entry and not the entire Project. All winning Projects will be posted (electronic/Internet media) at the discretion of the Administrator and Sponsor. All Participants agree to sign a separate agreement granting to the Sponsor and Administrator the right to publish (in print or electronic/Internet media) the submitted or extracted abstract or documentation (including the block diagram, textual description, photograph, schematic, and software code sample) for use in a publishable abstract and in promotional materials unrelated to the Challenge.
General Terms and Conditions
All monetary amounts in these Official Rules are indicated in United States dollars. ALL POTENTIAL CHALLENGE WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY WIZnet, AS SPONSOR, WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE CHALLENGE. Potential winners must continue to comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules. Winning the Challenge is contingent upon Participant fulfilling all requirements. All properly claimed prizes will be awarded. Only the prizes specified in the numbers indicated will be awarded. Total cash value of Challenge prizes is approximately $15,000. All winners will be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability prior to being declared a winner. All taxes, fees, duties, levies, withholdings, insurance, shipping, and other charges imposed by third parties, including but not limited to national, federal, state, provincial, and local income or VAT taxes, applicable to any prizes, Entries, or Challenge materials, provided by WIZnet or Partners or otherwise arising out of the Challenge are the sole responsibility of the applicable Participant. All winners are required to comply with all reasonable requests for tax identification and will be required to provide a Social Security number and completed Form W-9 (US residents only) before receiving any prize.
By registering for and/or entering the Challenge, each Participant releases and holds harmless the Sponsor, the Administrator, Partners, the prize manufacturers, any other entities involved in the administration of the Challenge, each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and each of their respective directors, officers, employees, and agents (collectively, the “Sponsor Parties”), from any and all responsibility, damages (including without limitation direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, punitive, and statutory damages), penalties, costs, liabilities, and losses of any kind arising out of or relating to: (i) participation in the Challenge; (ii) any violation by the Participant of these Official Rules, any policies, or any laws; (iii) any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, right of publicity, or other intellectual property misappropriation or infringement attributable to the Participant, his, her or their Entry, or any other Challenge materials submitted by Participant; (iv) the acceptance, possession, receipt, or use of any prizes or components, or any item purchased with any prizes, awarded or provided by the Sponsor or any of the Partners; (v) any problems (including but not limited to errors, omissions, interruptions, defects, or delays in operation or transmission) of any computer, telephone, modem, cable, satellite, network, hardware, online system, server, software, or other equipment or provider); (vi) any Internet traffic congestion or website accessibility issues; (vii) delays, cancellations, or other problems with travel or accommodations resulting from any carriers, hotels, travel agents, weather, fires, strikes, bankruptcies, governmental actions, wars, terrorism, or any other causes beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor or the Partners; (viii) printing or typographical errors in any Challenge-related materials; or (ix) any other technical or human error that may occur in connection with the Challenge (the “Causes”). Without limiting the foregoing, Sponsor and Partners are not responsible for any injury or damage to Participants or any other person’s computer related to, or resulting from participation in, or downloading any material in connection with, the Challenge. If anyone makes any claim against Sponsor or any Partners arising out of or relating to any of the Causes attributable to a Participant, such Participant will pay for any damages, penalties, costs, liabilities, and losses, including without limitation attorneys’ and experts’ fees and costs, incurred by the Sponsor or any such Partners in connection with such claim.
By registering for and/or entering the Challenge, a Participant represents and warrants:
- such individual is, or group of individuals are, domiciled in a country that does not prohibit their Entry into this Challenge or winning of the Challenge;
- the individual identified on the Challenge Registration Form is the Participant or part of the group that is the Participant;
- the individual and the Entry fully comply with all eligibility requirements and all other provisions of these Official Rules and any related policies;
- in preparing the Entry and entering and participating in the Challenge, the individual has complied and will comply in all respects with all applicable statutes, regulations, rules, orders, or other laws and has not violated, and will not violate, any agreement or understanding by which it is bound, including any confidentiality, employment, consulting, intellectual property assignment or license agreement;
- the Entry is unpublished and consists entirely of the individual’s or group’s own original work or of work to which such individual or group has all necessary rights;
- neither the Entry nor the exploitation of the Entry as provided herein will infringe or misappropriate any intellectual property, rights of publicity, or other proprietary rights of any person or entity.
- that he, she or they are not bound by any intellectual property agreement or any other agreement or obligation, with an employer, university, college, educational organization, or otherwise, that prohibits or limits in any way: the Participant’s right to participate in the Challenge and/or the Participant’s right to submit material for the Challenge, or that may limit the Sponsor’s and the Administrator’s rights in any way to such submission in the event the Entry is chosen as a winner; and
- that he, she or they are over the age of eighteen (18).
WIZNET RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REJECT OR DISQUALIFY ANY PERSON IF, IN THE SOLE AND ABSOLUTE DISCRETION OF WIZnet, (I) THE PERSON’S PARTICIPATION IN THE CHALLENGE IS OR MAY BE PROHIBITED OR OTHERWISE RESTRICTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, (II) THE PERSON FAILS TO COMPLY WITH THESE OFFICIAL RULES, ANY POLICIES, OR ANY LAWS IN ANY RESPECT; OR (III) THE PERSON TAMPERS WITH THE ENTRY PROCESS, THE OPERATION OF THE CHALLENGE, THE CHALLENGE WEBSITE, OR OTHERWISE ACTS IN AN UNSPORTING OR DISRUPTIVE MANNER OR WITH INTENT TO ANNOY OR HARASS ANY PERSON. THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. IF AN ENTRY THAT WOULD HAVE OTHERWISE RECEIVED A PRIZE OR COMPONENT IS REJECTED OR DISQUALIFIED, WIZnet MAY, BUT IS NOT REQUIRED TO, SELECT AN ALTERNATE WINNING ENTRY FROM THE REMAINING ENTRIES.
WIZnet, Co., Ltd., is the Sponsor. Elektor International Media/Circuit Cellar Inc. is the Administrator. A limited number of Samples are available. The odds of winning depend on the number of acceptable Entries received, the availability of the limited number of available Samples, and the decision of the Administrator and judges. The prizes will be awarded and mailed to the winners. The Sponsor is solely responsible for the payment of all prizes. Upon delivery to each winner’s address, the Sponsor will be deemed to have awarded the prize to such winner with each winner assuming full responsibility for the prize. There will be no substitution for prizes other than as offered. Each winner, and not the Administrator or the Sponsor, is solely responsible for all other arrangements, costs and expenses associated with and receiving their prize, including without limitation any taxes or other fees imposed by a government authority. All Participants and winners agree that signing the Registration Form or otherwise registering online via e-mail constitutes agreement to the terms and conditions of these Official Rules. The Administrator’s decision is final. If a winner fails to respond within 30 days of notification, an alternate winner will be selected. Prizes are not transferable.
Entries made on the Internet will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of Entry. In the event of a dispute, potential winners may be required to provide proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the potentially winning Entry. By completing a Project Registration Form and submitting an Entry, the Participant certifies that the Project entered in the Challenge is their work, or that they have written legal permission from the property owner. Furthermore, they have read and understand the complete rules of the Challenge and agree to abide by them. By entering, Participants agree to release and hold harmless the Administrator, the Sponsor and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, representatives, agents, and employees, from any and all liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with, either directly or indirectly, 1) the awarding, acceptance, receipt, possession, use, and/or misuse of any prize awarded herein; or 2) participation in the Challenge or any prize-related activities, including but not limited to traveling to or from any prize-related activity. By accepting a prize, remuneration, or honorarium, Participants consent to the use of their name, photograph and/or likeness, address, voice, and statements made by or attributed to them, in perpetuity, in any and all media now known or hereafter developed (including, without limitation, print, broadcast, and Internet), for all legitimate business purposes including advertising and promotional activities without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
The Administrator and the Sponsor are not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry of information including, but not limited to, technical malfunctions, human error, lost/delayed data transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, line failures of any telephone network, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof, Entry materials that have been tampered with, or e-mail or mail-in entries that are illegible, late, lost, damaged, postage due, or misdirected. The Administrator and the Sponsor are not responsible for any injury or damage to the Participants or any other persons, computer related or resulting from participation or downloading any material in this Challenge. Entries that have been tampered with or altered are void.
The Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend this Challenge if it becomes technically corrupted or if for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infections by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor or the Administrator that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Challenge promotion.
The Participant further agrees that no claims, judgments or awards shall exceed the amount of the Challenge prize and under no circumstances shall include attorneys’ fees; nor shall any Participant be permitted to obtain awards for punitive, incidental, consequential or other similar damages or have any damage awards multiplied or increased for any reason.
Nothing contained in these Official Rules or any other Challenge-related materials is or shall be construed as an endorsement by the Sponsor or any other third party, product, or service.
If any part of these Official Rules is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, illegal or otherwise unenforceable, such part will be deemed modified or eliminated to the extent necessary, in the court’s opinion, to make it enforceable while preserving the original intent of Sponsor, and the remaining parts of these Official Rules will remain in full force and effect. The Challenge will be governed by, and these Official Rules will be interpreted by, and enforced in accordance with, and you hereby expressly consent to the application of and to be bound by the laws of the State of New York, USA and applicable United States federal law exclusively, without regard to any conflicts of laws principles. Any dispute arising out of or relating to these Official Rules, the Challenge or any prize must be brought exclusively in the state or federal courts located in New York County, New York, USA, and Sponsor and each Participant irrevocably consent to the jurisdiction of such courts and waive any objection to such courts on any basis, including but not limited to jurisdiction, venue, or inconvenience of the forum.
English Language Only
These Official Rules, all Challenge materials, and all other Challenge-related documents are and will be in the English language only, and all proceedings relating to the Challenge will be conducted in the English language only. Each Participant hereby confirms his or her express wish that these documents be written in, and these proceedings be conducted in, the English language.