Digital factories require a surprising amount of analog and power technology. Exemplifying that trend, Maxim Integrated Products offers its new programmable logic controller (PLC) reference design called Go-IO. Go-IO embeds 17 configurable I/Os in a space one-half the size of a credit card and enables productivity-enhancing self-diagnostic capabilities in automated factory subsystems. System designers are striving to bring greater intelligence into Industry 4.0 digital factory equipment while meeting the stringent size and power demands of PLCs.
Digital factories can dynamically adjust the manufacturing line on the fly based on new or changing requirements. To fully realize industrial convergence, automated equipment must also possess self-diagnostic and optimization capabilities. Go-IO pushes intelligence closer to the edge, enabling active monitoring and communication of equipment health and status information as well as higher throughput and productivity. The reference design also meets increasingly stringent size and power requirements of PLCs, providing a 10x smaller solution with 50% less power consumption compared to its predecessor, the Pocket IO.
The flexible, rugged, open-source Go-IO reference design is ideal for industrial automation, building automation and industrial robotics applications. It has 12 highly integrated ICs, 17 IOs supporting multiple digital IO configurations, a 4-channel IO-Link master to provide a universal IO interface to both analog and digital sensors, and a robust 25 Mbps isolated RS-485 communications channel that provides a reliable, multi-drop data network for uploading time-sensitive health and status information into a local data lake or the cloud.
Go-IO contains the following technologies:
- MAX14819 low-power, dual-channel, IO-Link master transceiver with sensor/actuator power-supply controllers.
- MAX22192 8-channel octal digital input with isolated Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI), wire break detection and accurate input current limiters in a 6 mm x 10 mm package. The MAX22192 was announced today as part of Maxim’s expanded Digital IO portfolio. (Read today’s digital input press release)
- MAX14912 8-channel digital output driver featuring 640mA high-side switches or push-pull configurable outputs, capable of achieving 200 kHz switching rates while providing proprietary fast, safe demagnetization inductive kickback protection.
- MAXM22511 integrated 2.5 kVRMS isolated power and digital isolated RS-485 transceiver module supporting 25 Mbps data rates with ±35 kV ESD protection in a compact 9.5 mm x 11.5 mm package. (Read the October 31, 2018 press release)
- MAX14483/MAX14130 6-channel, 3.75 kVRMS galvanic low-power digital isolator in a compact 20-pin SSOP package/4-channel 1 kVRMS galvanic digital isolator in a small 16-pin QSOP.
- MAXM15462 Himalaya uSLIC voltage regulator ICs and power modules for cooler, smaller and simpler industrial power supplies.
The Go-IO is available as MAXREFDES212# at Maxim’s website for $495. The reference design consists of an application processor, baseboard and the Go-IO module.
Maxim Integrated | www.maximintegrated.com
PTC has announced the launch of new ThingWorx manufacturing apps. The new role-based manufacturing apps are fast to deploy and provide industrial companies with real-time operational intelligence to make more proactive and faster decisions. The apps are built on the ThingWorx platform, a purpose-built Industrial IoT platform that includes technologies and tools that enable companies to rapidly develop, deploy and extend apps and augmented reality experiences.
The ThingWorx manufacturing apps are part of a new generation of Industrial IoT web/mobile applications, which include the successful ThingWorx Navigate app. The manufacturing apps unify data from enterprise business systems and the sensored physical world, and deliver user information and real-time insight incontext for individual roles. The apps help simplify digital transformation, are fast to deploy, and allow for codeless app extensibility for ongoing rapid innovation. The ThingWorx manufacturing starter apps will be available via a free download and can be deployed in production in under one hour.
The new ThingWorx manufacturing apps include:
ThingWorx Controls Advisor (shown in photo above)— gives controls engineers the ability to rapidly connect to and remotely visualize data from virtually any Programmable Logic Controller (PLC), IoT Gateway or connected asset. It enables them to monitor and troubleshoot machine connectivity and provides instant notification of data communication errors that may cause the loss of critical production data. With proactive issue identification and rapid trending and troubleshooting, manufacturers can improve data quality and reliability and reduce unplanned downtime.
ThingWorx Asset Advisor — provides real-time visibility into the health and status of critical assets. The app alerts maintenance/service technicians to potential problems that may impact unplanned downtime and optimize maintenance execution, while delivering simple, easy-to-use capabilities to trend and troubleshoot issues. It remotely monitors and detects anomalies across various assets and allows users to understand asset performance and minimize unplanned downtime. Maintenance and service technicians can make better informed, faster decisions with unified real-time connectivity across critical production assets and take corrective action before problems impact production.
ThingWorx Production Advisor — rapidly unifies disparate sources of operational and business data. With the ThingWorx Production Advisor app, production managers have real-time visibility into production status and critical KPIs such as availability, performance, quality and Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE). The app also enables plant managers to monitor the real-time operational performance of the factory— all lines, all assets, with up-to-the-minute production status and performance KPIs. By having real-time machine and business data available in a contextualized format, the app delivers actionable intelligence to enable proactive and faster decision making to prevent problems and drive continuous improvement.
PTC | www.ptc.com www.thingworx.com
Maxim Integrated recently announced a new platform provides Industry 4.0 developers with real-time intelligence, adaptive manufacturing, and distributed control. Its Pocket IO programmable logic controller (PLC) development platform enables you to achieve the smallest form factor and highest power efficiency for innovative PLC designs. The platform comprises 30 I/Os, including analog input, analog output, digital input, digital output, IO-link, and motion control featuring robust functionality and diagnostic capabilities.
The Pocket IO PLC development platform’s features, benefits, and specs:
- Real-time intelligence: Fast data processing provides the necessary data to make intelligent decisions quickly and effectively to optimize yield.
- Adaptive manufacturing: Manufacturing flexibility allows for real-time changes and adjustments to avoid potential downtime.
- Distributed control: Ultra-small footprint of less than 10 cubic inches and smart energy consumption brings PLC down to the manufacturing line, re-distributing intelligent control and providing redundancy.
- 15× space savings with 16 fewer diodes than the previous solution
- Over 90% power efficiency when compared to its predecessor
The Pocket IO PLC reference design ($499) includes an attach board, IO-link protocol stack, cables, and a power supply. Free schematics, layout files, and firmware are available.
Source: Maxim Integrated