Intersil Corp. recently announced a new family of monolithic synchronous buck regulators that step-down 5- and 3.3-V primary rails to point-of-load (POL) inputs as low as 0.6 V for GPUs, DSPs, SoCs,and FPGAs. The pin-compatible ISL78233, ISL78234, and ISL78235 deliver 3, 4, and 5 A, respectively, of continuous output current to infotainment head units and advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS).
Using a current mode control architecture to deliver fast transient response and excellent loop stability, the ISL7823x synchronous step-down DC/DC converters integrate low RDSon high-side PMOS and low-side NMOS MOSFETs. Moreover, they combine a switching frequency of 2 MHz with guaranteed 100 ns (max) minimum on time to avoid AM radio channel interference.
ISL7823x features and specifications:
- Support input voltage range from 2.7 to 5.5 V and deliver high efficiency up to 95%
- 100 ns guaranteed phase minimum on time for wide output regulation
- Adjustable switching frequency from 500 kHz to 4MHz (with 2 MHz default)
- External synchronization up to 4 MHz
- Provide 1% reference accuracy for tight regulation
- Soft-stop output discharge during disable
- Fault protections (over-temperature, over-current, output over-and under-voltage, input under-voltage lockout, short-circuit, and negative over-current)
- AEC-Q100 qualified for operation from –40°C to 125°C
- Wettable flank QFN package
The ISL78235 5-A synchronous buck regulator is available in a 5 mm × 5 mm 16-lead WFQFN package for $2.75 in 1,00-unit quantities. A 3 mm × 3 mm TQFN package is also available. The ISL78235EVAL2Z evaluation board costs $67.80.
The ISL78233 3-A and ISL78234 4-A synchronous buck regulators are available now in 5 mm × 5 mm 16-lead WFQFN packages. The ISL78233 costs $1.75 in 1,000-unit quantities. The ISL78234 is $1.95 in 1,000-unit quantities. The ISL78233EVAL2Z and ISL78234EVAL2Z evaluation boards cost $56 each.
Source: Intersil Corp.
Analog Devices recently announced a 24-bit sigma-delta A/D converter with a fast and flexible output data rate for high-precision instrumentation and process control applications
The AD7175-2 converter delivers 24 noise-free bits at 20 SPS and 17.2 noise-free bits at 250 ksps providing you with a wider dynamic range. With twice the throughput for the same power consumption versus competing solutions, the AD7175-2 enables faster, more responsive measurement systems providing a 50-ksps/channel scan rate with a 20-µs settling time.
The integrated, low-noise, true rail-to-rail input buffer enables quick and easy sensor interfacing, reduces design and layout complexity, simplifies analog drive circuitry and reduces PCB area. The AD717x family, with a wide range of pin and software compatible devices, allows consolidation and standardization across system platforms.
According to Analog Devices, the converter gives “designers a wider dynamic range, which enables smaller signal deviations to be measured as required within analytical laboratory instrumentation systems.”
Specs and features:
- 2x the throughput for the same power consumption in comparison to other devices
- Enables faster measurement systems providing a 50-ksps/channel scan rate with 20-µs settling time.
- Integrated true rail-to-rail input buffer for easy sensor interfacing and simplified analog drive circuitry
- User-configurable input channels
- 2 differential or 4 single-ended channels
- Per-channel independent programmability
- Integrated 2.5-V buffered 2-ppm/°C reference
- Flexible and per-channel programmable digital filters
- Enhanced filters for simultaneous 50-Hz and 60-Hz rejection
- −40°C to +105°C operating temperature range
Source: Analog Devices
Linear Technology Corporation recently announced the availability of the LT8580 current-mode, fixed-frequency, step-up DC/DC converter with an internal 1-A, 65-V switch. Operating from an input voltage range of 2.55 to 40 V, you’ll find the LT8580 useful for a variety of applications with input sources ranging from a single-cell Li-Ion to automotive inputs.
Source: Linear Technology
- Configurable as either a boost, SEPIC or an inverting converter
- 3 mm × 3 mm DFN package (or MSOP-8E) and tiny externals
- Low VCESAT switch (0.4 at 0.75 A) delivers efficiencies of up to 86%
- User-adjustable UVLO
Pricing starts at $2.35 each for 1,000-piece quantities.
Source: Linear Technology
Linear Technology Corp. recently introduced the LTC3124 two-phase, 3-MHz current-mode synchronous boost DC/DC converter. It features output disconnect and inrush current limiting. Dual-phase operation has the benefit of reducing peak inductor and capacitor ripple currents. This allows equivalent performance to be achieved in the power supply design with smaller valued inductors and capacitors.
Source: Linear Technology
The LTC3124 incorporates low resistance MOSFETs with an RDS(ON) of 130mΩ (N-channel) and 200mΩ (P-channel) to deliver efficiencies as high as 95%. The output disconnect feature allows the output to be completely discharged at shutdown and reduces switch-on inrush. An input pin can be used to configure the LTC3124 for continuous frequency mode to give low-noise operation. Additional features include external synchronization, output overvoltage protection, and robust short-circuit protection.
LTC3124’s main features:
- VIN Range: 1.8 V to 5.5 V, 500 mV after start-up
- Adjustable output voltage: 2.5 V to 15 V
- 1.5-A Output current for VIN = 5 V and VOUT = 12 V
- Dual-phase control reduces output voltage ripple
- Output disconnects from input when shut down
- Synchronous rectification: up to 95% efficiency
- Inrush current limit
- Up to 3-MHz programmable switching frequency synchronizable to external clock
- Selectable Burst Mode operation: 25-µA IQ
- Output Overvoltage Protection
- Internal soft-start
- < 1 µA IQ in shutdown
The LTC3124EDHC and LTC3124EFE are both available from stock in 16-lead 3 mm x 5 mm DFN and thermally enhanced TSSOP packages, respectively. One-thousand-piece pricing starts at $3.26 each.
The JCE06 and JTE06 series of low-cost compact 6-W DC-DC converters are designed for a range of mobile communications and industrial and transportation applications. The converters are constructed from a plastic industry-standard 24-pin DIP through-hole mounting package. They measure 1.25“ × 0.80“ × 0.4“ (31.75 mm × 20.32 mm × 10.40 mm). The single- and dual-output units achieve a power density of 15 W per inch3 and up to 84% efficiency.
Single-output models are available with 3.3, 5, 12, 15, or 24 VDC outputs. Dual-output models provide ±3.3, ±5, ±12, ±15, or ±24 VDC outputs. The JCE06 accommodates a wide 2:1 input range. The JTE06 series is designed for an ultra-wide 4:1 input range. All models cover the popular nominal input 12-, 24-, or 48-VDC voltages.
Input-to-output isolation is 1,500 VDC across the range. The converters suit a range of operating environments in temperatures from –40°C to 100°C. No additional forced airflow or heatsinking is required, which saves valuable board space and extra cost.
An under-voltage input protection feature shuts down the converter below a set voltage to prevent damage to the converter. All models within both ranges meet EN55022 Class A conducted EMC emissions without any additional components.
Pricing for the single-output JCE06 series starts at $13.85 in 500-unit quantities. Pricing for the JTE06 series starts at $14 in 500-unit quantities.
XP Power, Ltd.