Member Profile: Joe Pfeiffer

Joe Pfeiffer

Education: BS with a double major in Computer Science and Physics, 1979, and a PhD in Computer Science, 1986, both from the University of Washington in Seattle

Occupation: Joe was a professor in the Department of Computer Science at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces until he retired in 2010. Joe’s research interests focused on visual programming languages and geometric reasoning for mobile robots. Most of his teaching involved computer architecture, Assembly language programming, and OSes.

Member Status: Joe says he’s been a Circuit Cellar subscriber for at least 10 years.

Technical Interests: He enjoys programming Microchip Technology PIC processors. More recently, he has become interested in Android programming and development under Linux.

Most Recent Embedded Tech-Related Acquisition: Joe bought a model rocket altimeter (and a bunch of related connectors and things) for a rocket he’s building for his National Association of Rocketry Level 2 high-power certification.

Current Projects: Joe is currently developing a shop oven. “I want it to be useful for solder reflow work—so I’ll want it to be able to follow the reflow temperature profile—and also accurately maintain a temperature for applications like powder coating. I’m planning a USB interface so I can log its activity for later analysis,” he explained.

Thoughts on the Future of Embedded Technology: Joe feels that computing is becoming more pervasive and connected. “From a digital caliper that cost me under $10, to a Bluetooth-connected OBD-II scanner for a car—it’s just amazing,” he said. “One thing I worry about is that, along with so much in computing and technology, the bar is getting too high for entry. As through-hole, hand-solderable components slowly disappear, it seems like it’ll be harder and harder for someone to create a first simple project and get started,” he added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA Image

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>