STMicroelectronics’s miniature SensorTile sensor board of its type comprises an MEMS accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, pressure sensor, and a MEMS microphone. With the on-board low-power STM32L4 microcontroller, the SensorTile can be used as a sensing and connectivity hub for developing products ranging from wearables to Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
The 13.5 mm × 13.5 mm SensorTile features a Bluetooth Low-Energy (BLE) transceiver including an onboard miniature single-chip balun, as well as a broad set of system interfaces that support use as a sensor-fusion hub or as a platform for firmware development. You can plug it into a host board. At power-up, it immediately starts streaming inertial, audio, and environmental data to STMicro’s BlueMS free smartphone app.
Software development is simple with an API based on the STM32Cube Hardware Abstraction Layer and middleware components, including the STM32 Open Development Environment. It’s fully compatible with the Open Software eXpansion Libraries (Open.MEMS, Open.RF, and Open.AUDIO), as well as numerous third-party embedded sensing and voice-processing projects. Example programs are available (e.g., software for position sensing, activity recognition, and low-power voice communication).
The complete kit includes a cradle board, which carries the 13.5 mm × 13.5 mm SensorTile core system in standalone or hub mode and can be used as a reference design. This compact yet fully loaded board contains a humidity and temperature sensor, a micro-SD card socket, as well as a lithium-polymer battery (LiPo) charger. The pack also contains a LiPo rechargeable battery and a plastic case that provides a convenient housing for the cradle, SensorTile, and battery combination.
SensorTile kit’s main features, specs, and benefits:
- Cradle/expansion board with an analog audio output, a micro-USB connector, and an Arduino-like interface that can be plugged into any STM32 Nucleo board to expand developers’ options for system and software development.
- Programming cable
- LSM6DSM 3-D accelerometer and 3-D gyroscope
- LSM303AGR 3-D magnetometer and 3-D accelerometer
- LPS22HB pressure sensor/barometer
- MP34DT04 digital MEMS microphone
- STM32L476 microcontroller
- BlueNRG-MS network processor with integrated 2.4-GHz radio